Wills & Trusts

Preparing a will or a trust is an absolutely essential part of protecting your assets and your family’s future. With a will and/or a trust in place, you can avoid all unnecessary tax, possibly avoid probate and create an effective plan for distribution of your assets upon your death. You can also ensure that your children, spouse and other family members will be adequately cared for.

If you are concerned about protecting your assets and your loved ones in the event of your death, the Ashland, Oregon law office of Robert Good can help you. We will work with you to create a plan (often called an “estate plan”) that makes sense for you and your family, whether that is a simple will or a complex estate plan with a Living Trust. We will help you determine if it makes sense for you to have documents like an advance directive or a power of attorney to arrange for someone you know and trust to make medical and financial decisions in the event of your serious illness or incapacity.

Estate planning documents we can create for you include:

  • Wills
  • Trusts for Minors
  • Living Trusts
  • Pourover Wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Advance Directives

Planning for your estate can be hard to think about and easy to put off, but it is a vital part of protecting your assets and your family. If you would like to have the peace of mind you and your family deserve, please contact the office of Robert Good in Ashland, Oregon and set up an estate planning appointment today.

Bob’s primer on estate planning: Estate Planning 101 by Robert Good, Ashland Locals Guide

Estate Administration (“Probate”):

If someone close to you has passed away, the law office of Robert Good can help you manage the court procedure known as probate. The purpose of the probate process is to handle all of the various aspects of administering the estate after death, including distributing assets.

The probate process takes several months at a minimum, and includes various legal requirements such as notifying heirs and beneficiaries, finding and inventorying all estate assets, paying estate expenses and reporting all of the financial activity to the court. The court has to authorize any distribution of assets.

If a will exists, the personal representative named in the will is the person who will be in charge of administering the estate. The personal representative typically hires a lawyer to assist them with this process, which requires numerous court filings, and possibly litigation or mediation in the case of a dispute.

Our office will effectively and efficiently guide you and your family through the often complex and confusing probate process.

Learn more about what you can expect in the probate process: Probate 101 by Robert Good, Ashland Locals Guide

Contesting a Will or Trust

You may have questions or concerns about how someone is managing a probate or trust. You may be an excluded beneficiary who wonders if you need to litigate to obtain your rightful portion of an estate. Or you may believe a personal representative is attempting to distribute estate assets in a way that violates the terms of a will. Regardless of the situation, a dispute over an estate can be highly emotional and difficult.

We understand the stress and frustration involved when you have to decide whether to contest a will, a trust or the appointment of a fiduciary. We know how upsetting it can be when you move forward with litigation against family members and close friends. At the law office of Robert Good we work compassionately with our clients and aggressively represent their interests throughout the process of a will contest or probate litigation.

Trust Administration

If your loved one had a trust in place, or if you were named as a “successor trustee,” you likely need some guidance to assist you in the administration of the trust. The law office of Robert Good can help you understand your new responsibilities, and we can help do the necessary legal legwork for you during what may be a difficult time in your life.


A guardianship gives a person the legal authority to care for and make a range of decisions for another person. Courts refer to this as a “protective proceeding” which can be an invaluable tool for making sure that a loved one – whether a young child or an older adult – is properly cared for. The Ashland, Oregon law office of Robert Good can assist with guardianship proceedings.

Elderly adults or incapacitated adults may require another to manage their finances. Our office can assist you to appoint an appropriate person in what is called a conservatorship proceeding. Many times both a guardianship and a conservatorship will be appropriate for the same person.

If you are concerned about a loved one and believe that a guardianship or a conservatorship may be appropriate, please contact the law office of Robert Good to set up an appointment and we will gladly assist you.

More from Bob about the different legal tools to protect elderly adults: Respect (and Protect) Your Elders by Robert Good, Ashland Locals Guide